Thursday, September 29, 2005

Getting back to Bikram Yoga after a long absence: The dreaded first class back


Phew! I really thought that the first 'blog poster' here would be my wife as she is already 5 classes ahead of me in returning to our Bikram Practice after (for me at least) an 8 month absence.
During which time I consumed large quantities of pizza, cheese, exquisite baguettes and of course ... red wine. Well we were living in the South Of France, so what else was I supposed to do?!
Anyway, first class back last night. I've had some long times away from Bikram before and with each of those times I pushed way too hard in the first class back and really ached badly afterwards! I was determined NOT to do this again, so I didn't. It is only a result of the ego wanting to prove something anyhow, so time to let go of that methinks.
I am still a little stiff and sore today, but I am going again in one hour's time, which should do me the world of good.
Honestly there was so much stuff going on in my head about going back and how horrible it was going to be (!) that in some ways, the actual class itself (Thanks Wayne!) was a pleasure, although still physically hard. Its a love hate thing you know. At least I didn't feel sick, just very very happy to be back!!!
Anyhow, I was tight where I didn't expect it and reasonably OK in other places. Thank goodness for the heat, protecting muscles and getting everything warm with good blood flow. It is my opinion that the heat is safer for the muscles than otherwise practicing 'cold'. After all the Indians have been doing it everyday in the heat for 1,000s of years!
The only reason I say this, is because I have heard surface again recently the Bikram Myths about 'the heat causing potential over-stretching', which is really not well substantiated in fact. But the fitness world is a funny place and each to their own I guess. You can read much more information on our website, go to: http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/
OK, I'll be back again after my second class! (With some more specific Bikram Pose references and what it is like to get back into them ...)
Namaste

Robert Scanlon

2 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

In the western world, the most basic and most practiced yoga is Hatha yoga. The Hatha yoga originates from the Asian country India for more than two thousand years back. Yoga helps to purify mind as well as soul, its fills a wisdom of calmness and helps maintaining strength and litheness in the human body. Hatha is derived from two words HA meaning the sun and THA refers to the moon. The Hatha yoga defines how opposite things can effort as one in human life due to the duality and flexibility of our minds and body. Hatha yoga helps to discover the dualities of meditation and workouts. Hatha yoga

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like yoga.
what i liked in Bikram style, at least in the begging, was the intensity. Even if it's contradicting the very nature of Yoga.
I like the struggle. I like the challenge. I like the 90 min no matter what commitment. I like the not-so-new-age-y- feel.
but now, after two years of actively practiging, and even after (forgive me for saying saying this) hearing Bikram himself preach about it in person, I am begging to think: If I have had dedicated 90 minutes a day for most days, during the two-years period, would the results be better? lesser? about the same?
I am not sure.
And observing my teachers.
Some are in greta shape.
Some are struggling after 15 years of teaching, and some have beer guts. After 15 years? of teaching (and hopefully practicing?)? Not all of them inspire me equally.
the students that seem to be in best shape, also do weights, and/or cardio.
Now that would be - how much time a day?
two, three hours?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home