Sunday, October 02, 2005

Returning to Bikram Yoga after a long break!

Too long without yoga. Too long without hot yoga. We decided to take a long break with our 2 year old and take ourselves to France. With only 2 hot yoga studios and the closest 2 hours away from our apartment I had little choice than to skip it altogether. Save for the few times I managed to bundle off my husband and child, take the trouble to shift the furniture in our tiny lounge room, then heat it with a tiny convection heater, I had to resign myself to a break from yoga, almost all types really due to the size of the flat and the disruption to our home life.
 
What I didn't count on was the disruption to my life in general. I NEED this yoga. A bit more of an animated personality than my calmer husband I found my resources started to dwindle after a few months. My temper was a little shorter, my body a lot less toned, my metabolism slowed and on top had to deal with delicious French cuisine. It was then I decided to document my return. Loads of my students in the past (hey even me) have returned feeling the dread of coming back and going through 'it' all over again. The dread of possible aches and pains, that heat, those same 26 Bikram Yoga poses AGAIN! Coupled with that the promise of renewed sense of inner peace, better balance focus and concentration in and out of the room, and a trimmer taut body tip the balance back again...
 
So how was it you ask? That first class back. Difficult. Physically. My body is far less flexible now (although still very flexible) I am tight particularly down the back of my legs (why is my left leg worse, I wonder?). My tendency towards scoliosis - (all but disappeared when I started Bikram yoga, now returned to about 10% original severity) exacerbated by no yoga and carrying my daughter on my left hip which is hers and my preferred side - has returned a bit, reminding me that it is all part of a continuing maintenance program.
 
The most important thing on returning back to the hot room is to put ego aside and work on the basics. So my first few classes are devoted to strengthening my legs. You know, "lock the knee, lock the knee, lock the knee!". I purposely avoided going further into standing head to knee paying more attention to also strengthening core muscles by 'sucking in the stomach' and lifting the pelvic floor. With my ego out of the way I just did the best I could trying to still the chatter in my head. I was the observer noticing the extent I could (or indeed, couldn't) go into postures. A few 'returns to yoga' after forced breaks has taught me at least that.
 
I definitely worked hard. In fact I think it is impossible not to. Bikram Yoga seems ideally set up that way. Chunked for success. Short to long bursts of effort followed by short breaks or savasanas. So just when I think I cannot go on any more, I have a break and then, hey presto, I can reapply myself with renewed vitality and determination.
 
Let's see what else happens.
 
Namaste,
 
 
Gabrielle

1 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger jindi said...

Yoga (Sanskrit, Pali: yóga) refers to traditional physical and mental disciplines originating in India. The word is associated with meditative practices in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. In Hinduism, it also refers to one of the six orthodox (astika) schools of Hindu philosophy, and to the goal toward which that school directs its practices. In Jainism it refers to the sum total of all activities—mental, verbal and physical.

Major branches of yoga in Hindu philosophy include Raja Yoga, Karma Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, and Hatha Yoga. Raja Yoga, compiled in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and known simply as yoga in the context of Hindu philosophy, is part of the Samkhya tradition.[10] Many other Hindu texts discuss aspects of yoga, including Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, the Shiva Samhita and various Tantras.

The Sanskrit word yoga has many meanings, and is derived from the Sanskrit root "yuj," meaning "to control," "to yoke" or "to unite."[12] Translations include "joining," "uniting," "union," "conjunction," and "means." Outside India, the term yoga is typically associated with Hatha Yoga and its asanas (postures) or as a form of exercise. Someone who practices yoga or follows the yoga philosophy is called a yogi or yogini

 

Post a Comment

<< Home