Monday, October 17, 2005

Phew! 5th Bikram Yoga class ... too many gaps!

Well having been away for a week (again) where there is no local studio, it was good to get back tonight to a great class (thanks Gabrielle!).
 
Hips are now fine, my hip flexors are not hurting at all - most stiffness now seems to be hamstring and adductor related. Very common in men of course.
 
However, the bliss I can now feel stretched out' in Savasana is amazing - as if pure energy is flowing back through my legs. And that lovely 'looseness' after a good solid Bikram Workout! Mmmmm.
 
Interestingly my focus and balance were way off tonight - not surprising as I have finally managed to drum up a bit of frustration and stress with my 'other job'. Fell out of standing separate leg head to knee and Tadasana, which had been rock solid the previous 4 classes. Everything moves in this yoga series!
 
And tonight was the night the instructor decided to run Camel/Ustrasana somewhat longer! The panic started early as I was already testing some limits - could I regain the pull on the heels? (Yes yes, I know, achievement oriented. But Bikram is good for that!). Fortunately over the years, I have learned how to make Camel work for me not against me, so:
  • Push out the tummy and breathe fully into it, even if it is difficult at first.
  • Arch up (of course).
  • Relax the tongue and jaw.
  • Keep squeezing the buttocks!
And I have to say, the long holding was excellent, felt great.
 
This week I'd really like to be able to run a few classes together, so there is something more to report ...
 
Until then,
 
Namaste
 
Robert Scanlon
 

1 Comments:

At 1:59 AM, Blogger imessolution said...

Yoga is a very good way to have your body, mind and soul cleansed and purified but also a unique chance of reaching a higher self. Many people do not really know about the benefits of yoga. They might have heard about it in newspapers, magazines or from their friends, but many of them do not have an idea on what it truly is. That’s because yoga is not something palpable, something that you can touch and give to someone else. It’s just your experience, your journey with yourself in order to become a better man.Hatha yoga

 

Post a Comment

<< Home