Monday, October 24, 2005

8th Bikram Yoga Class and I'm flying!

Well I'm flying compared to the first class back anyhow!
It is still all about the adductors at the moment, however I am pleased to say that my hamstrings are opening back up and I am now managing an extended 'locked out leg' in many Bikram Yoga poses. I even managed to extend out (kick out) in 2nd set of Dandayamana Janushirasana. It feels like after 'only' 8 classes back, I can already feel the old (and frankly better) me returning!
What was interesting was what I didn't notice in class tonight.
I didn't notice my heart pounding away and I didn't notice any conscious effort required to slow down and deepen my breathing back to abdomino-diaphragmatic breath.
In fact the instructor tonight had a few 'newbies' in the class and what I did notice was that the additional huge amount of information being delivered was annoying me a little - I just wanted to get on with the postures! Naughty boy! Shouldn't be getting impatient in a yoga class!
Anyway it was all good and a great class to boot, nice and sweaty. No matter how much the so-called 'fitness experts' harp on about the heat being this and that, personally I have never found it anything but beneficial. The same goes for all our students. Mind you, one does have to re-focus on sufficient daily hydration and also maintaining good habits during class. There is actually a great article written by a non-Bikram person - Lesley Funk - on our website, which sets out quite clearly the facts about any form of exercise in the heat.
Namaste
Robert Scanlon
PS Gabrielle hasn't posted for a while due to a recent and complex ear operation preventing her from attending class. We wish her well and anticipate her return and her wonderful classes.

1 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Blogger imessolution said...

As of start, Yoga is an ancient fitness and health system which has its origins in India. The oldest of the sacred texts, the Rig Veda has the first mentions of the word and it is stated the practice exists for over 4000 years. Yoga refers to the union of the three elements that compose the human being: the mind, the body and the spirit.Luxury Yoga Vacation

 

Post a Comment

<< Home