Tuesday, November 01, 2005

From one extreme to the other - that's Bikram Yoga!

I had a kind of a weird class tonight.
A little cruisy perhaps - they feel that way sometimes. And plenty of times where I just 'wasn't there'. And of course, one is not supposed to do that! I did try to keep my focus back on my breath, but time after time I found myself just 'thinking about stuff'.
And yet I was still working very hard physically - that's the weird thing! In floor bow (Dhanurasana) I found myself thinking about something to do with another website I have - but not in a stressful kind of way - just dreaming. And yet the more the instructor urged us on, the more I responded, in a distant fashion. Very weird. Normally the arduous nature of Bikram Yoga really does keep one focused on the physical.
Then when we got to Camel Pose, my stomach took over - now this is not a posture I normally have any issues with but tonight I had to come out quickly before vomiting! From then on, the rest of the class was really awful, no time or head space for dreaming - all my effort was focused on staying with the breath and working through whatever was going on in my stomach.
Oh dear!
Well, at least if nothing else, you know that the yoga really does work on so many levels!
My tips from tonight:
  • Have no expectations about your class - there is no point!
  • When your body feels odd, stick with it if you can and focus on your breath
  • If you cannot stick with it, then lay down in Savasana - it's a yoga pose after all
  • And remember, the whole 90 mins is yoga and meditation. Try to keep your head in the room!
Until the next time,
Namaste
Robert

8 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am very interested in yoga, more specifically hot yoga and bikram yoga. I am curious what some specific long-term benefits of studying bikram yoga in particular and how it could potentially help me as a dance major in college. Yoga in general strengthens and increases flexibility, but what is it about bikram that sets it aside from the other yoga techniques?

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger cheapfinanace said...

Yoga is the perfect exercise blend for many active people. It is a balancing regimen that strengthens the body, focuses the mind, and helps create a felt sense of spirit.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger jindi said...

Recognized as one of the finest Yoga retreats in the world, sivanandabahamas is dedicated to promoting the authentic spiritual tradition of Yoga, in an environment normally associated with an exclusive star hotel. We endeavour to embody the spiritual tradition of Athithi devo Bhava (serving the Guest as an embodiment of the Divine) and the staff at sivanandabahamas are trying to practice all facets of Yoga in their daily lives. At sivanandabahamas, you get a unique insight into Yoga, irrespective of whether you are a beginner or have practiced for many years.

sivanandabahamas is situated in bahamas where the emphasis is to live an ashram style life (daily yoga, meditation sessions, chanting classes, organic vegetarian food, no alcohol, community service, farming etc.) in private, serene and "simply" luxurious accommodation and facilities. In a typical Yoga Retreat, guests practice different facets of Yoga - for physical strength, balance and flexibility, for physiological & therapeutic benefits and if they are interested, for pursuing a spiritual path through various types of meditation.
yoga retreat

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

In the western world, the most basic and most practiced yoga is Hatha yoga. The Hatha yoga originates from the Asian country India for more than two thousand years back. Yoga helps to purify mind as well as soul, its fills a wisdom of calmness and helps maintaining strength and litheness in the human body. Hatha is derived from two words HA meaning the sun and THA refers to the moon. The Hatha yoga defines how opposite things can effort as one in human life due to the duality and flexibility of our minds and body. Hatha yoga helps to discover the dualities of meditation and workouts. Hathayoga

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Post your pictures doing Yoga on Yoga for Beginners & Ask your friends to like your picture. The most liked yoga picture wins 2 weeks of free yoga lessons from Divine Wellness. Check out http://www.facebook.com/yogaforbeginners?v=app_6009294086

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love how you said not to expect anything! :) Hot yoga is about letting go.. :)

Bikram Yoga Bali

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yoga keeps our inner body & inner mind clean & clear to lead a life of benevolence.The practice of Yoga Exercises or Asanas can improve our health, increase our resistance, and develop our mental awareness. Thanks for this tips.


Wins Honey

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Yoga boy said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Hatha Yoga
Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Kundalini Yoga
Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Bikram Yoga
Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Astanga Yoga.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home